|Marie C. Sboro |
|Marie C. Sboro, Art's Jug Founder |
Published in the Watertown Daily Times, 12/31/98
C. Sboro, 99, longtime Watertown restauranteur, died at 6:20 p.m.
Wednesday, Dec. 30, 1998, at Samaritan Keep Home, where she had resided
for four years.
Mrs. Sboro and her husband, Attilio, owned
restaurants in Watertown for many years. In 1933, they opened the Stone
Jug, the first licensed restaurant in Watertown after Prohibition was
repealed. The restaurant was taken over by their son, Arthur A., in
1948 and renamed Art's Jug. It is now a third-generation family
The couple opened the State Restaurant in 1946. The
business later was sold, moved to LeRay Street and became Giovanni's
Ristorante, which closed in January 1997.
In 1949, Mrs. Sboro and
her sister, Amelia LaChiusa, opened Aunt Amelia's Pizzeria, on Fair
Street, in the present location of Coleman's Corner. Mrs. Sboro retired
She was a communicant of St. Anthony's Church and a
former member of St. Anthony's Altar and Rosary Society. Born Oct. 24,
1899, in Gouverneur, a daughter of Salvatore and Josephine Vittorio
Anzalone, she moved with her family to Watertown at an early age and was
educated in Watertown schools.
She married Attilio Sboro on
Sept. 6, 1924, at St. Anthony's Church with the Rev. Claude Sechi
officiating. Mr. Sboro died June 17, 1979.
her son, of Cape Coral, Fla., are two daughters, Mrs. Casmir (Marie D.)
LoVerde, Cape Coral, and Josephine J. Masiello, Watertown; nine
grandchildren, 18 great-grandchildren, a great-great granddaughter and
numerous nieces, nephews, great-nieces, great-nephews and cousins.
Eleven brothers and sisters, including Mrs. LaChiusa, died before her.