skip to main content skip to footer

Marie C. Sboro
Marie C. Sboro, Art's Jug Founder  
Published in the Watertown Daily Times, 12/31/98
Marie C. Sboro, 99, longtime Watertown restauranteur, died at 6:20 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 30, 1998, at Samaritan Keep Home, where she had resided for four years.

Mrs. Sboro and her husband, Attilio, owned restaurants in Watertown for many years.  In 1933, they opened the Stone Jug, the first licensed restaurant in Watertown after Prohibition was repealed.  The restaurant was taken over by their son, Arthur A., in 1948 and renamed Art's Jug.  It is now a third-generation family business.
The couple opened the State Restaurant in 1946.  The business later was sold, moved to LeRay Street and became Giovanni's Ristorante, which closed in January 1997.

In 1949, Mrs. Sboro and her sister, Amelia LaChiusa, opened Aunt Amelia's Pizzeria, on Fair Street, in the present location of Coleman's Corner. Mrs. Sboro retired in 1970.
She was a communicant of St. Anthony's Church and a former member of St. Anthony's Altar and Rosary Society. Born Oct. 24, 1899, in Gouverneur, a daughter of Salvatore and Josephine Vittorio Anzalone, she moved with her family to Watertown at an early age and was educated in Watertown schools.
She married Attilio Sboro on Sept. 6, 1924, at St. Anthony's Church with the Rev. Claude Sechi officiating.  Mr. Sboro died June 17, 1979.
Surviving besides her son, of Cape Coral, Fla., are two daughters, Mrs. Casmir (Marie D.) LoVerde, Cape Coral, and Josephine J. Masiello, Watertown; nine grandchildren, 18 great-grandchildren, a great-great granddaughter and numerous nieces, nephews, great-nieces, great-nephews and cousins. Eleven brothers and sisters, including Mrs. LaChiusa, died before her.